Blog part 2

 So, blog part two.

This was the beginning of me trying to get home by bike without the help of trains. Oh, via Cape Wrath. 

As I left Thurso for the campsite at Melvich, the headwind started in earnest. It was incessant. But then this is Scotland, what do I expect? I remember thinking on the end to end, that you are unarguably on the North coast.

As the wind tore past me in the opposite direction, an ambulance tore past me in the same direction. Then a fire engine. An ambulance is not good but when accompanied by a fire engine... I hoped not to witness whatever the incident was. Alas, two miles further down the road, there was a pickup truck completely upside down by the side of the road. The fire service had their cutting gear out and were removing bits of car. The ambulance crew could do nothing. A few miles further down the road, the same ambulance went past me in the same direction. Surely there are no hospitals in this direction. There were no 'blues and twos' this time and the ambulance drove slowly. Obviously, I don't know what happened but it didn't look good. A sobering reminder that things can end in tragedy, even at the very top of the country. 

The campsite was surprising. No rules and regs were barked at me I was told to camp where I liked. I had ordered a meal for this evening. A kind of last supper before having to depend on, well, me. I have enough rations to last 4 days without seeing a shop. I'm hoping that's more than I'll need.

After fish and chips, I could manage nothing more than a decaf coffee. In fact I couldn't even manage all the fish and chips so the staff put the remains in a wee bag. Don't know of I'll be up for that at breakfast. We'll see. A shame really, the fish was locally caught and tasted like it had come out of the sea.

    The midge net looks silly? I don't care!
                          Fish out of the sea
                                  Home....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half a blog...

Cuckoo at Cape Wrath

Taking the smooth and the rough